Local exchange carriers have never faced a more challenging business and operational climate than today’s. Revenues are under extreme pressure as subscribers opt to replace their landlines with mobile phones, or are tempted away by phone and broadband services bundled with cable TV. As a result, it gets harder and harder to sustain the high fixed costs of running a traditional TDM-based voice network.
It's no surprise, therefore, that many LECs are transforming their networks to all-IP with the aim of both expanding their service portfolios and reducing their operational costs.
With access networks evolving to IP to support broadband services and IP-TV, and trunk networks evolving to IP for improved transport efficiency, the traditional TDM-based Class 5 switch has to go. And it needs to be replaced with an IP-based solution that offers drop-in network compatibility and full service transparency.
Metaswitch has vast experience and an excellent track record in replacing local exchange switches, and has successfully cut over 20 legacy Class 5 switch types.
Features and Benefits
- Provides equivalence to all of the existing local calling features and services – promoting subscriber retention through complete service transparency, and keeping regulators happy
- Increased subscriber stickiness and revenue with innovative new services, such as smartphone- and tablet-based clients, robocall blocking and visual voicemail.
- Architectural evolution to suit your needs, at the pace that’s right for you – POTS / VOIP access; NGN or IMS core; ATCA, COTS or cloud/NFV; local and geographic redundancy
- Carrier-class scale, reliability and management, with billions of minutes of voice traffic per month at more than 650 carrier customers globally
- Smarter, faster call problem diagnosis with Metaswitch’s unique always-on troubleshooting platform
- Smooth integration with your OSS / BSS and provisioning systems and worry-free migration with the level of control you desire
- Industry-leading support and program management for the lifetime of your network – 75 percent of our customers say our support is better than all other vendors in their network
The Metaswitch solution for Class 5 Migration is based on the following elements:
- MetaSphere MTAS, configured with complete Class 5 emulation, session control, gateway control and lawful intercept
- One or more Universal Media Gateways, which support TDM connectivity for both lines and trunks
- MetaView management platform, configured with Service Assurance Server and MetaView Web
- Interoperability with a wide range of third-party access network equipment, including Digital Loop Carriers, Broadband Loop Carriers and Integrated Access Devices
- Professional services and automated tools to handle the migration of subscriber configuration from legacy Class 5 switches to MetaSphere MTAS
The MetaSphere MTAS software may be deployed either on a central core network or locally on the Universal Media Gateways.
The basic solution can be enhanced in a variety of ways:
- CommPortal can be deployed to provide subscribers with a web interface to their local calling features and enhanced services, encouraging the take-up of such revenue-generating features by making them far easier to use.
- Additional consumer services, such as robocall blocking, voicemail (including text transcription).
- Accession Communicator client lets you take your landline phone and voicemail onto your mobile device or PC, and move calls between devices. It provides clearer HD voice calls, video calling, visual voicemail and instant messaging.
- Emergency Stand Alone can be deployed on the Universal Media Gateways to ensure that service continuity is provided in the event of an IP network outage between centrally located MetaSphere servers and UMGs.
- Additional MetaSphere applications can be deployed to extend the range of services offered, such as Business Calling Features, SIP Trunking, Hosted PBX and Unified Communications, offering incremental service revenues and increased service stickiness.