The DevOps Engineer role
The DevOps engineer is responsible for running the Continuous Integration (GitLab CI) and private cloud (OpenStack, VMware and OpenShift) environments used by UK-based (Edinburgh, Cambridge, London) and Bucharest development teams, fixing up issues as they arrive and providing general support with these systems.
Responsibilities for private cloud environments.
- Operating, and maintaining the general health of the OpenStack, VMware and OpenShift clouds used by the development teams - both proactively (through monitoring) and responding to issues raised by developers and testers.
- Sharing information on the health of the systems, how to use them, best practice etc.
- Identifying where issues lie with the cloud platforms or the orchestration scripts deploying the products.
- Identifying issues with test system integration into the overall network environment.
- Identifying usage trends and potential capacity issues to optimize existing resources and as planning input for increased resources.
Responsibilities on CI.
- Assisting projects on the platform with CI scripts - the scripts triggered by code being checked into the codebase and that trigger the necessary build, test and publish operations
- Monitoring the overall health of all the projects and identifying where optimizations may be required to their CI scripts
- Providing improved dashboard capabilities to give the project stakeholders greater visibility into the performance of their scripts.
- Analyzing the team and user needs.
- Prepare relevant technical documentation for the above responsibilities
- Creating/improving documentation for troubleshooting
- Managing Helpdesk tickets for the above CI and virtualized environments
Where projects are doing something inefficiently or struggling to implement the function that they require, the DevOps engineer is the first point of contact.
The DevOps engineer has access to L2/3 support from Metaswitch for solving the issues with Metaswitch IT infrastructure (e.g. networking, access permissions).
We anticipate that the position will be based in our Edinburgh office with occasional trips to our head office in Enfield, North London but would consider candidates who would prefer to be based in either our Enfield or Cambridge offices.
The role is expected to require a broad set of complementary skills. On-the-job training will be provided to cover any gaps in knowledge of the areas set out below.
- Technical skills to operate and maintain one or more private OpenStack, VMware and OpenShift cloud platforms
- Good knowledge of
- Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS)
- At least one cloud platform from OpenStack, vCenter or OpenShift
- Scripting with bash and python
- Familiarity with
- Ansible scripting (or equivalent provisioning technologies)
- GitLab Continuous Integration pipelines
- Icinga2 for monitoring
- EqualLogic storage (iSCSI )
- Analytical skills to identify where problems are occurring and net down the nature of the problem.
- Communication skills to discuss issues with testers and developers and to keep the overall team appraised of any system issues.
- Good organizational, time and task management skills
- Good prioritization of incoming work items
- “Can do” attitude to solving problems
- An enthusiasm to learn new skills about new products and environments and act as an evangelizer of the specific area
- Experience: 3+ years
We will offer a competitive market salary and, once you have joined us, your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a competitive package of benefits including a bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly.
First, we’ll ask you to have a telephone interview with the hiring manager. We’ll then ask you to visit us to complete assessments and have interviews with members of the team. We want to find out more about you, but also provide the opportunity for you to get a good ‘feel’ for the role and Metaswitch. It’s a big decision for both of us.
To apply for this position, please send a
- CV (including all academic grades)
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address email@example.com.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 020 8366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.