The IT Infrastructure Engineer role
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. Our award-winning solutions help power more than 1,000 service providers and mobile operators, providing highly scalable and fault tolerant systems that run right in the core of their networks. We are internationally renowned for our exceptional technology, cutting-edge innovation and first-rate support – qualities we maintain by only recruiting, and retaining, the very best people.
We are looking to recruit an IT Infrastructure Engineer to join our highly expert IT team, working alongside other engineers to build and support the IT infrastructure that the company depends on.
This is a full-time role, based in our Head Office in Enfield, North London (a great location only 30 minutes from Kings Cross or Moorgate while also being close to the Hertfordshire countryside). You will report to our Head of IT Infrastructure and work with a variety of operational teams and stakeholders across our business, particularly our 350-strong software engineering team who rely on our infrastructure to develop and test our products.
Your first few weeks will mostly be spent training on the various IT systems that we support at Metaswitch, through both briefings and more hands-on practical activities. In time, you’ll be expected to take responsibility for a major infrastructure system, with duties including
- monitoring and managing the system to ensure it provides a quality service
- proposing, designing and implementing enhancements to the system, based on requirements from stakeholders across the business
- acting as third-line technical support for relevant escalations from our service desk team
- working alongside other members of the team to help maintain our extensive IT infrastructure.
This would be an excellent opportunity for someone who already has some second- or third-line IT support experience and is looking to move up to a more specialised role with more responsibility.
For this position, we need someone who has
- good A-levels and is educated to degree level, ideally within a Computer Science or Engineering discipline
- several years of IT experience, with a good knowledge of basic networking principles and an understanding of enterprise IT technologies
- excellent time and project management skills
- the ability to take on ownership of a project and work well on their own initiative
- strong communication skills.
Candidates should also have technical experience with most of the following areas.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 / 2016 Active Directory and server infrastructure
- Linux systems, deployment, configuration, automation, and management particularly Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- VMware vSphere virtualisation suite / Virtualisation Environments (KVM, OpenStack) including design & deployment
- Deployment pipelines
- Cisco routers, switches and wireless infrastructure
- Configuration management software, including Puppet for Linux and Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager for Windows
- Microsoft SharePoint Online, Exchange 2010+ / Exchange Online
- Monitoring software and systems
- Backup, DR and HA solutions.
- Good project management skills advantageous.
- Experience building and maintaining Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) would be advantageous.
We will offer a competitive market salary and, once you have joined us, your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a comprehensive package of benefits including a bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly. Firstly, you may have a telephone interview with our Head of IT Infrastructure . This will give you an opportunity to find out more about the role and find out whether you are suited to Metaswitch. If successful, you will then normally be asked to come in to our Enfield office for a series of interviews.
To apply for this position, please send a
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 020 8366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.