Who are Metaswitch?
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. Our award-winning solutions help power more than 1,000 service providers and mobile operators, providing highly scalable and fault tolerant systems that run right in the core of their networks. We are internationally renowned for our exceptional technology, cutting-edge innovation and first-rate support – qualities we maintain by only recruiting, and retaining, the very best people.
We’re incredibly proud of our company culture. We have a collaborative working environment where free and open dialog is welcomed, we avoid internal politics at all costs. Our aim is to seek out the better, faster and simpler solution, while supporting, challenging and developing each other.
Our Edinburgh office is located to the south of the city centre – just 5 minutes from the Meadows – and is surrounded by a full range of amenities while being well connected to all parts of the city and beyond. The office is growing rapidly with a current headcount of 70 engineers.
The Lead Software Engineer role
We are looking to recruit several highly talented Lead Software Engineers into the Engineering team responsible for Perimeta, the world leading cloud native carrier-class virtualized Session Border Controller, based in our Edinburgh office.
The Engineering team is the heart of Metaswitch – we are first and foremost an engineering company built on a community of driven, smart people who want to work in leading edge technology and make a real difference to our industry. We have a strong company ethos for on-time delivery of top-quality and high-performance products within a non-political culture.
As a member of the Perimeta Engineering team you will take a leading technical role in an agile team developing new features and product enhancements – dealing with complex systems, large codebases, and high scale. You will get involved with everything from high level architecture and design to low-level C/C++ coding and application programming in Rust and Python. We work with a wide range of technologies such as the latest virtualisation, container and cloud deployment technologies.
After an initial ramp-up period, the successful candidate will be responsible for
- Full lifecycle of software development: specification, high and low-level design work, coding, regression testing, problem investigation, debugging and fixing. The Lead Engineer is expected to take on significant design work, working closely with our existing architects.
- Working as the technical lead within an Agile team delivering multi-person projects: working with the PO to define stories; driving process improvements; providing technical leadership and mentoring to other engineers in the team; ensuring quality in everything the team delivers
For this position, we need someone who has the following skills/attributes.
- A good graduate degree and a versatile and creative mind with excellent problem-solving ability
- Self-motivation, inventiveness, energy and self-discipline
- Ability to design and write secure, stable, testable, and maintainable code with minimal defects
- Expertise in object oriented and scripting languages
- Some experience of communications and telecoms software (particularly SIP, DIAMETER and DNS)
- Significant familiarity with Linux and Linux-based systems, ideally including deploying software using containers
- Knowledge of a variety of development tools and applications, from e.g. CI/CD with git at one end to gdb at the other
- Experience working with very large codebases and complex systems
- Experience of all parts of the development process, including large-scale design work
- The ability to work effectively in a team and mentor/educate other team members
- Excellent communications skills
We are looking for exceptional people and your initial salary will reflect your exceptional skills and ability. Your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a competitive package of benefits including a substantial bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
We offer the opportunity to do an interesting and challenging job in a well-managed and successful company. Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people and we demonstrate that in a number of ways including regular funded “morale events” from lunches or evenings out with your team to weekends away.
Every employee has a career development plan with no limitations on the direction your career will take within Metaswitch.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly. Firstly, you will have a technical telephone interview with one of our Engineering Managers. This will give you an opportunity to find out more about the role and find out whether we are suited to each other. If successful, you will then normally be asked to come in to one of our offices for a series of interviews.
To apply for this position, please send a
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 020 8366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.