Session Border Controller & the Software Engineer Role
Our industry-leading session border controller product, Perimeta, is a cloud native, carrier class, solution that protects VoIP networks from attack whilst maintaining performance even under heavy load and is architected to handle distributed signalling and media.
Due to the growing success of this product, we are looking to recruit several highly talented Senior Software Engineers into the Perimeta Engineering team. You will lead a team of 4 or 5 engineers, getting involved with everything from high level architecture and design to low-level C/C++ coding and application programming in Java, Rust and Python to build truly cloud native solutions. You will work with a wide range of the latest technologies including virtualisation, containers and cloud deployment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for
- Full lifecycle of software development: specification, high and low-level design work, coding, regression testing, problem investigation, debugging and fixing. Senior Engineers are expected to take on significant design work, working closely with our existing architects.
- Working as the technical lead within an Agile team delivering multi-person projects: working with the Product Owner to define stories; driving process improvements; providing technical leadership and mentoring to other engineers in the team; ensuring quality in everything the team delivers
Who are Metaswitch?
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. Our award-winning solutions help power more than 1,000 service providers and mobile operators, providing highly scalable and fault tolerant systems that run right in the core of their networks. We are internationally renowned for our exceptional technology, cutting-edge innovation and first-rate support – qualities we maintain by only recruiting, and retaining, the very best people.
We’re incredibly proud of our company culture. We have a collaborative working environment where free and open dialog is welcomed, we avoid internal politics at all costs. Our aim is to seek out the better, faster and simpler solution, while supporting, challenging and developing each other.
Engineering is the beating heart of Metaswitch and forms over half of our 900 employees, mainly based at locations across the UK. Our Midlands office is located on the outskirts of Coventry, towards Rugby, close to a full range of amenities and with easy access to beautiful countryside, such as the Cotswolds, and transport links to the rest of the country and beyond. The office is growing rapidly with a current headcount of 24 engineers.
For this position, we need someone who has the following skills/attributes.
- A degree and a versatile and creative mind with excellent problem-solving ability
- Self-motivation, inventiveness, energy and self-discipline
- Ability to design and write secure, stable, testable, and maintainable code with minimal defects
- Expertise in object oriented and scripting languages
- Significant familiarity with Linux and Linux-based systems, ideally including deploying software using containers
- Knowledge of a variety of development tools and applications
- Experience working with very large codebases and complex systems
- Experience of VoIP and telecoms software
- Experience of all parts of the development process, including large-scale design work
- The ability to work effectively in a team and mentor/educate other team members
- Have the ability to work autonomously, but also be a team player, happy to ‘roll up your sleeves’ to help and support others to deliver team and organisation goals
- Excellent communications skills
- Have great interpersonal skills and be able to build strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organisation - and be happy to challenge them too!
- Be agile and innovative, keeping up to date on best practise and new ideas to drive results.
We are looking for exceptional people and your initial salary will reflect your exceptional skills and ability. Your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a competitive package of benefits including a substantial bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
We offer the opportunity to do an interesting and challenging job in a well-managed and successful company. Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people and we demonstrate that in a number of ways including regular funded “morale events” from lunches or evenings out with your team to weekends away.
Every employee has a career development plan with no limitations on the direction your career will take within Metaswitch.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly. Firstly, you will have a technical telephone interview with one of our Engineering Managers. This will give you an opportunity to find out more about the role and find out whether we are suited to each other. If successful, you will then normally be asked to come in to our Midlands office to meet us, have a look around and for a series of interviews.
To apply for this position, please send a
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address email@example.com.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 020 8366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.