We are looking to recruit a talented Senior Software Development Manager into the Engineering team responsible for FusionCore, the Metaswitch cloud native carrier-class 4G and 5G packet core, based in our Enfield office.
The Engineering team is the heart of Metaswitch – we are first and foremost an engineering company built on a community of driven, smart people who want to work in leading edge technology and make a real difference to our industry. We have a strong company ethos for on-time delivery of top-quality and high-performance products within a non-political culture.
As a member of the Fusion Core Engineering team you will run and coach an agile team developing new features and product enhancements to our world-leading x86-based software user plane, working with a wide range of technologies such as the latest virtualisation, container and cloud deployment technologies.
After an initial ramp-up period, the successful candidate will be responsible for
- Creating and leading a team of dedicated, talented engineers to succeed at complex, highly technical projects.
- Enabling the team to deliver by helping plan, track and analyse their progress while identifying crucial trade-offs or roadblocks that necessitate a change in direction.
- Working with the overall FusionCore program PO, to refine epics, agree and communicate the quality bar and building an Engineering-led plan to build the right product in the right way.
- Providing and defining an interface to other teams, including reporting information to stakeholders (including executive level management).
- Steering the team to execute the full lifecycle of software development: specification, architecture, high and low-level design work, coding, regression testing, problem investigation, debugging and fixing. As stepping in themselves where needed, the Senior Software Development Manager will be expected to review and assess progress of the team in each of these areas.
- Building the team to add the maximum possible business value to the wider project – this role can be as broad as you can make it.
For this position, we need someone who has the following skills/attributes.
- A strong track-record in recruiting, developing and maintaining high performing and happy engineering teams working on complex, highly technical technologies.
- Strong project planning skills, including the ability to identify and manage risk.
- Excellent communication skills, covering all of the following.
- Communicating strategy and plans to your team and wider organization.
- Building cross-engineering relationships, including with remote teams.
- Empathetically working with individuals one on one to help them be the best engineers they can be.
- Presenting plans, constraints and successes to exec level and senior management.
- (Ideally) Presenting confidently to customers as part of deep technical engagements.
- Strong engineering background, including specialist knowledge of user plane design and packet processing technologies, including open source technology such as DPDK.
- A strong understanding of agile engineering practices, and (ideally) prior experience of a Technical Product Owner role.
Salary is competitive and will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a competitive package of benefits including a substantial bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
We offer the opportunity to do an interesting and challenging job in a well-managed and successful company. Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people and we demonstrate that in a number of ways including regular funded “morale events” from lunches or evenings out with your team to weekends away.
Every employee has a career development plan with no limitations on the direction your career will take within Metaswitch.