The Senior Technical Author role
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company, constructively disrupting the way service providers build, scale, innovate, and account for communication services. Our award-winning solutions power more than 1,000 service provider and mobile operator networks. We’re proud of the excellent customer care we provide and our documentation is an important part of that. We are now recruiting a Technical Author to join our highly skilled documentation team of eight, based in our head office in Enfield, North London.
Our documentation team work together in a friendly, supportive work environment. They are proactive individuals who learn fast and have a desire to share their knowledge with others. They work closely with our engineering and support teams to produce clear and concise, but technically complex, documentation for an audience primarily comprising experienced telecoms professionals. The new author will have the opportunity to take primary responsibility for one or more solution areas but will also get the chance to collaborate with other authors. They will work with multiple engineering teams, using both agile and waterfall development methodologies. Our documentation work is extremely varied and includes engineering and end-user documents, embedded help, API documentation and training manuals. It provides the opportunity to work with administrative and technical support functions, as well as our world-class engineers.
We are looking to recruit an experienced Technical Author who can make an immediate contribution to the team.
After an initial training and ramp up period, you will
- use engineering documentation and discussions with subject matter experts – some of the best and brightest minds in the industry – to understand our new products and solutions
- create customer-focused technical documentation to a high standard consistent with house styles
- create and modify simple graphics, diagrams and screenshots
- publish documentation in a range of formats to several platforms
- achieve and maintain a high level of technical proficiency in a breadth of documentation and development tools and technologies
- peer review other authors’ work within the team.
Depending on experience, additional responsibilities may also include
- contributing to strategic improvements in processes and documentation, perhaps leading projects to improve the team’s output or migrate to new tools
- providing leadership and direction to other team members.
- a proven aptitude for understanding complex technical concepts, and the capability to explain them clearly and concisely
- experience in documenting highly technical systems for a technical audience
- good A-levels and a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, in any subject
- strong attention to detail
- energy, enthusiasm, versatility and creativity
- excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with people at all levels of our organisation.
- experience of topic-based authoring, preferably structured XML-based authoring such as DITA
- the ability to prioritize and multi-task, delivering whilst adapting to changing requirements and deadlines
- proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Experience in one or more of the following areas would also be advantageous.
- Telecommunications, especially mobile and networking technologies.
- Cloud, container and/or VM technologies.
- Oxygen XML Author, DITA, DITA OT, XML stylesheets, XSLT transforms.
- Issue tracking and source control applications (such as Jira and Git).
- Microsoft Office VBA.
- Management or team leading.
We will offer a competitive market salary and, once you have joined us, your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a competitive package of benefits including a bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly.
First, we’ll ask you to have a telephone interview with the hiring manager. We’ll then ask you to visit our Enfield Office to complete assessments and have interviews with members of the team. We want to find out more about you, but also provide the opportunity for you to get a good ‘feel’ for the role and Metaswitch. It’s a big decision for both of us.
To apply for this position, please send a
- CV (including all academic grades)
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address email@example.com.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 020 8366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.