Who are Metaswitch?
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. Our award-winning solutions help power more than 1,000 service providers and mobile operators, providing highly scalable and fault tolerant systems that run right in the core of their networks. We are internationally renowned for our exceptional technology, cutting-edge innovation and first-rate support – qualities we maintain by recruiting, and retaining, only the very best people.
We’re incredibly proud of our company culture. We have a collaborative working environment where free and open dialog is welcomed, we avoid internal politics at all costs. Our aim is to seek out the better, faster and simpler solution, while supporting, challenging and developing each other.
Our Wellington office is located on Manners and is surrounded by a full range of amenities while being well connected to all parts of the city and beyond. The office is home to around 30 friendly and collaborative software engineers.
The Senior Technical Author role
Metaswitch have earned a reputation for exceptional customer care and our documentation is an important part of that.
We have an existing ten-person documentation team, based in our UK head office. We are now looking to add to that team by recruiting an experienced technical author based in our Wellington office. They will work alongside our New Zealand Engineering team to produce effective documentation that ensures the success of our customers and customer-facing teams.
Our technical authors are proactive individuals who learn fast and have a desire to share their knowledge with others. They work closely with our engineering and support teams in a friendly, supportive work environment to produce clear and concise, but technically complex, documentation for an audience primarily comprising experienced telecoms professionals.
The new author will have the opportunity to take primary responsibility for solution areas but will also get the chance to collaborate with other authors. They will work with engineering teams using agile and waterfall development methodologies. Our documentation work is varied and includes engineering and end-user documents, embedded help, API documentation and training manuals.
We are looking to recruit an experienced Technical Author who can make an immediate contribution to the team
The successful candidate will own and deliver customer-facing documentation for the products and solutions being created by our New Zealand Engineering team.
· create clear and effective customer-focused technical documentation that enables engineering and operations professionals around the world to succeed with highly complex products and solutions
· take ownership of the design, structuring, creation and publication of this documentation
· use engineering documentation and discussions with subject matter experts – some of the best and brightest minds in the industry – to understand our technologies
· achieve and maintain a high level of technical proficiency in a breadth of Metaswitch’s technologies as well as documentation and development tools and technologies
· collaborate (usually remotely) with the UK-based team, for example, with peer-reviewing
· maintain consistency with house styles including the use of graphics and diagrams where appropriate
· contribute to strategic improvements in documentation tools and processes, both locally and company-wide.
For this position, we need someone who has the following skills/attributes.
· a proven ability to understand complex technical concepts, and to explain them clearly and concisely
· experience in documenting highly technical systems for a technical (engineering or operations) audience
· strong self-management skills including estimation, planning, managing dependencies, the ability to prioritize and multi-task and ultimately delivering whilst adapting to changing requirements and deadlines
· a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, in any subject
· strong attention to detail
· energy, enthusiasm, versatility and creativity
· excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with people at all levels of our organisation
· experience of topic-based authoring
Experience in one or more of the following areas would also be advantageous
· Telecommunications, especially mobile and networking technologies
· Cloud, container and/or VM technologies
· Oxygen XML Author, DITA, DITA OT, XML stylesheets, XSLT transforms
· Source control (such as Git)
· Microsoft Office VBA
· Working with agile teams and tools such as Jira
· Management or team leading
We offer a competitive salary and package of benefits including a bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans.
We offer the opportunity to do an interesting and challenging job in a well-managed and successful company. Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people and we demonstrate that in a number of ways including regular funded “morale events” from lunches or evenings out with your team to weekends away.
Every employee has a career development plan with no limitations on the direction your career will take within Metaswitch.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly.
Firstly, you will have a telephone interview with one of our managers. This will give you an opportunity to find out more about the role and find out whether we are suited to each other. If successful, you will then normally be asked to come in to one of our office for a formal interview, to meet us and find out more.
To apply for this position, please send a
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address email@example.com
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer