The Senior Test Engineer role
Metaswitch uses cutting edge development approaches to deliver mission critical telecoms infrastructure to the world’s largest network operators. Agile software development practices and cloud native architecture principles are in our DNA.
Our senior test engineers form part of cross-discipline agile development teams. They are backed up by a thriving company-wide guild of testing that provides training, cross-team collaboration, and opportunity to influence testing practices across the organization.
We believe that being a test engineer is a highly challenging, and intellectually demanding activity that requires a creative and inquisitive mind, a high level of technical aptitude and good judgement. We are looking for people who love testing, love working with new technology, and will thrive in an environment that gives them as much responsibility as they are ready to take on.
- Full time role based in either our North London or Cambridge offices.
- Responsible for planning and performing a range of system testing tasks through an appropriate mixture of exploratory, pre-planned and automated testing.
- Responsible for the testing of complex projects, products and solutions that are designed and architected to meet a high quality bar.
- Expected to take an active part in improving the testing process, and actively sharing knowledge with others.
Essential qualifications, experience and capabilities
- Good A-levels and a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of 3 years commercial experience in a testing role.
- Comfortable with testing in an agile environment.
- Experience of non-functional testing e.g. performance, robustness, security, usability etc.
- Capable of defining test plans or strategies for a complex project or product.
- Capable of producing test estimates and tracking and delivering against those estimates.
- Demonstrate a high level of technical awareness and a sound understanding of software architectures.
- Demonstrate awareness of business environments into which solutions have been delivered.
- Sound understanding of quality practices as applied to software testing.
- Ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to work well in a team with minimal supervision.
- Ability to comply with all confidentiality and non-disclosure policies and/or agreements and ensure security of information at all times.
Desirable experience and capabilities
- Capable of mentoring other less experienced team members and providing feedback to bring their work up to the required quality bar.
- Experience of private and public cloud-based testing (e.g. OpenStack, AWS, Azure).
- Familiarity with programming languages such as C++ and Python.
- Experience in developing test automation frameworks.
- Experience of context driven testing, rapid software testing, session-based testing, and other modern testing approaches.
- Familiarity with Linux and IP Networking.
- Established people and leadership skills, with the ability to work from within the team to inspire and influence the team to deliver and achieve positive outcomes.
We will offer a competitive market salary and, once you have joined us, your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a competitive package of benefits including a bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people.
Application and Selection
Recruitment at Metaswitch is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly.
The first stage will involve a telephone interview with the hiring manager to assess your suitability for the role. The next stage will be to complete a software test followed by a trip to one of our offices where you will be interviewed by members of the team.
To apply for this position, please send a
- CV (including all academic grades)
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 020 8366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.