Who are Metaswitch?
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. Our award-winning solutions help power more than 1,000 service providers and mobile operators, providing highly scalable and fault tolerant systems that run right in the core of their networks. We are internationally renowned for our exceptional technology, cutting-edge innovation and first-rate support – qualities we maintain by only recruiting, and retaining, the very best people.
As a company we promote a collaborative working environment, without politics, where free and open dialog is welcomed. Our aim is to seek out the better, faster and simpler solution, while supporting, challenging and developing each other.
Our Cambridge office is located within the Cambridge Science Park and is home to around 50 employees. There is a real sense of collaboration in the office, which extends outside, where our teams get together for various activities, including sports, food tasting and even an annual punting trip. Along with getting to solve complex problems, one of the important factors for many employees is the fact that they get to work with very smart and interesting people.
What are we looking for?
We are looking to recruit a Software Engineering Manager into the engineering team responsible for Perimeta, the world leading cloud native carrier-class virtualized Session Border Controller, based in our Cambridge office.
The Engineering team is the heart of Metaswitch – we are first and foremost an engineering company built on a community of driven, smart people who want to make a real difference to our industry.
As a manager in the Perimeta Engineering team you will work alongside seasoned veterans and new graduate engineers, leading, caring for, motivating and developing a team to deliver new features and product enhancements on our industry leading product.
After an initial training and ramp-up period, you will be responsible for the following.
- Acting as a technical leader for your team
- Providing strong technical vision, inspiring quality and trust in and outside the team
- Providing strong technical input, using your experience to contribute to the resolution of the hardest technical issues
- Providing guidance on and supervision of best practice in software development, from tool selection through to coding standards and development processes
- Owning and delivering projects: ensuring your team delivers reliably, even against a headwind or when unforeseen events occur
- Management and people development responsibilities
- Ensuring your team is happy, well-informed and motivated
- Ensuring your team has clear career directions and learning and development takes place to move them in that direction
- Collaborating with your peers, your own team and wider team members – product owners, support managers, other team leaders and managers as well as the wider organisation – to do the right thing
For this position, we need someone who has the following skills/attributes.
- Experience of leadership and management within software engineering
- Excellent communications skills, a versatile and creative mind with good problem-solving abilities, self-motivation, energy and discipline
- Self-sufficient, but with the ability to work effectively in a team.
To be successful, you will also desirably have familiarity with some or all of the following areas of expertise.
- Experience in highly scalable and fault tolerant technologies
- Owning and delivering 200 to 500 day projects
- Full lifecycle of software development: specification, high and low-level design work, coding, regression testing, problem investigation, debugging and fixing
- Working with large codebases (multiple millions of lines of code) and complex systems
- Strong coding and technical skills in languages such as C, C++, java, python or similar.
- Competitive market salary
- Benefits including bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, permanent health insurance plus a flexible holiday policy.
In terms of personal development, we offer the opportunity to do an interesting and challenging job in a well-managed and successful company. We’re a dynamic organisation with an outstanding record of getting the best out of people – which is why our employee retention is exceptionally high.
Application and Selection
First, you will have a telephone interview with one of our senior managers. This will give you an opportunity to find out more about the role and Metaswitch. If you are successful, we will then ask you to visit our Cambridge Office for a face to face interview and to meet your new team! We want to find out more about you, but also provide the opportunity for you to get a good ‘feel’ for the role, the team and Metaswitch. It is a big decision for both of us!
To apply for this position, please send a
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address email@example.com.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 0208 366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.