The Software Engineering Manager role
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. Our award-winning solutions help power more than 1,000 service providers and mobile operators, providing highly scalable and fault tolerant systems that run right in the core of their networks. We are internationally renowned for our exceptional technology, cutting-edge innovation and first-rate support – qualities we maintain by only recruiting, and retaining, the very best people.
We are looking to recruit a Software Engineering Manager into the engineering team responsible for Perimeta, the world leading cloud native carrier-class virtualized Session Border Controller, based in our Cambridge office.
The Engineering team is the heart of Metaswitch – we are first and foremost and engineering company built on a community of driven, smart people who want to make a real difference to our industry.
As a manager in the Perimeta Engineering team you will work alongside seasoned veterans and new graduate engineers, leading, caring for, motivating and developing a team to deliver new features and product enhancements on our industry leading product.
After an initial training and ramp-up period, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following.
- Managing a team of 3 – 10 reports
- Acting as a technical leader for their team
- Providing strong technical vision, inspiring quality and trust in and outside their team
- Providing strong technical input, using their extensive experience to contribute to the resolution of the hardest technical issues
- Owning and delivering multiple projects spanning their full set of reports
- Ensuring projects deliver reliably, even with moderate headwinds and unforeseen events
- Ensuring high-quality status reporting, bringing issues to their manager’s attention
- Full people management and people development responsibilities
- Ensuring their team is happy, well-informed and motivated
- Ensuring their team has clear career directions and learning and development takes place to move them in that direction
For this position, we need someone who has the following skills/attributes.
- Extensive experience in software engineering, with experience in both management and technical lead roles
- Excellent communications skills, a versatile and creative mind with good problem-solving abilities, self-motivation, energy and discipline
- Self-sufficient, but with the ability to work effectively in a team.
Successful candidates would also desirably have familiarity with some or all of the following areas of expertise.
- Voice-over-IP protocols, especially SIP
- Fully owning and delivering 200 to 500 day projects
- Full lifecycle of software development: specification, high and low-level design work, coding, regression testing, problem investigation, debugging and fixing
- Working with large codebases (multiple millions of lines of code) and complex systems
- A range of programming languages, especially C and Python.
We will offer a competitive market salary and, once you have joined us, your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a competitive package of benefits including a bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly. Firstly, you may have a telephone interview with one of the Senior Engineering Managers. This will give you an opportunity to find out more about the role and find out whether you are suited to Metaswitch. If successful, you will then normally be asked to come in to one of our offices for a series of interviews.
To apply for this position, please send a
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address email@example.com.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 0208 366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.