Despite the current Covid-19 crisis we are still accepting applications for experienced software engineers and testers. We have developed an online recruitment process which allows you to interact with our recruiters from your home and find out what it’s like to work at Metaswitch.
The Test Engineer Role
The continuing success of our telecoms and networking products means that Metaswitch Networks are recruiting highly talented test engineers to join established teams working in a number of different product areas.
Metaswitch uses cutting edge development and testing approaches to deliver mission critical telecoms infrastructure to the world’s largest network operators. Agile software development practices and cloud native architecture principles are in our DNA.
We are looking for experienced professionals with software testing experience to join our development teams as software testers. Our testers form part of cross-discipline agile development teams, which encompass a mix of software development, architecture and testing expertise.
You will work with a wide range of the latest technologies including virtualisation, containers and cloud deployment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for
- Designing and reviewing testing for new products and features, using a mix of exploratory, pre-planned and automated approaches.
- Investigating and evaluating complex products and solutions
- Making judgements about product quality, against a high-quality bar.
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. Our award-winning solutions help power more than 1,000 service providers and mobile operators, providing highly scalable and fault tolerant systems that run right in the core of their networks. We are internationally renowned for our exceptional technology, cutting-edge innovation and first-rate support – qualities we maintain by only recruiting, and retaining, the very best people.
Our industry-leading session border controller product, Perimeta, is a cloud native, carrier class, solution that protects VoIP networks from attack whilst maintaining performance even under heavy load and is architected to handle distributed signalling and media.
The transition to 5G is the biggest, most disruptive change in telecoms right now and as Metaswitch’s mobile operator base continues to grow worldwide our Mobile Packet Core team is helping power that transition with high performance, resilient, cloud-native networking software.
Our revolutionary mobile native unified communications solution, MaX UC is an in-network, mobile-native Unified Communication and Collaboration solution designed from the ground up to deliver an awesome user experience. Globally, 25 million business users use MaX UC to collaborate with their colleagues, customers and suppliers through voice, messaging, video conferencing, offline collaboration and more, all seamlessly integrated within a simple, natural user interface.
Who are Metaswitch?
We’re incredibly proud of our company culture. We have a collaborative working environment where free and open dialog is welcomed, we avoid internal politics at all costs. Our aim is to seek out the better, faster and simpler solution, while supporting, challenging and developing each other.
Engineering is the beating heart of Metaswitch and forms over half of our 900 employees, mainly based at locations across the UK.
Our UK headquarters are in Enfield, North London. Enfield has excellent transport links by both road and rail both into the centre of London and out into the surrounding towns and villages and the Hertfordshire countryside. Enfield itself has a full range of amenities including excellent schools. Metaswitch are currently building a new high specification office in central Enfield, for occupation in 2020, to house all our local staff including the 200 engineers based here.
The Midlands office is located on the outskirts of Coventry, towards Rugby, close to a full range of amenities and with easy access to beautiful countryside, such as the Cotswolds, and transport links to the rest of the country and beyond. The office is growing rapidly with a current headcount of 24 engineers.
In Edinburgh our office is located to the south of the city centre – just 5 minutes from the Meadows – and is surrounded by a full range of amenities while being well connected to all parts of the city and beyond. The office is growing rapidly with a current headcount of 70 engineers.
For this position, we need someone who has the following skills/attributes.
- Relevant commercial software testing experience.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with junior and senior team-mates, and both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- A high level of energy and drive. Self-motivated and a positive, energising presence in a team environment.
- Able to proactively and quickly learn about new technologies and techniques, with support from team leads and mentors.
- Creativity and ability to innovate, as well as logical thinking and attention to detail.
- Ability to design tests and test plans for complex solutions based on an understanding of requirements and product risk
- Ability to analyse and debug problems in complex systems.
- Capable of producing estimates and tracking and delivering against them.
- The ability to define quality bars and test effectively and in an agile environment
- Have the ability to work autonomously, but also be a team player, happy to ‘roll up your sleeves’ to help and support others to deliver team and organisation goals
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python.
- Experience with developing and deploying software using containers, including using docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience of private and public cloud-based testing (e.g. OpenStack, AWS, Azure).
- Experience of context driven testing, rapid software testing, session-based testing, and other modern testing approaches.
- Experience and domain knowledge in telecoms and/or mobile networks
We are looking for exceptional people and your initial salary will reflect your exceptional skills and ability. Your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution. We also offer a competitive package of benefits including a substantial bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
We offer the opportunity to do an interesting and challenging job in a well-managed and successful company. Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people and we demonstrate that in a number of ways including regular funded “morale events” from lunches or evenings out with your team to weekends away.
Metaswitch is an awesome place to work and we know that when employees are trusted to manage their work/life balance, not only does it support their well-being, but increases their engagement and ultimately enables them to perform their role better. Metaswitch is pleased to take a flexible approach to working, and if you’re looking for some variability in your schedule, we encourage you to have this conversation with your interviewer!
Every employee has a career development plan with no limitations on the direction your career will take within Metaswitch.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly. Firstly, you will have a technical telephone interview with one of our Engineering Managers. This will give you an opportunity to find out more about the role and find out whether we are suited to each other. If successful, you will then normally be asked to come in to one of our offices for a series of interviews.
To apply for this position, please send a
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address email@example.com.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 020 8366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.