The Virtualisation Engineer role
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. We develop commercial and open-source software solutions that are constructively disrupting the way that service providers build, scale, innovate and account for communication services. The company was established over 35 years ago and we now have over 800 employees across the world, including the UK and US.
We are looking to recruit a Virtualisation Engineer to join our highly expert IT team, taking the technical lead on architecture, design, implementation and support of our extensive VMware vSphere infrastructure.
This is a full-time role, based in our Head Office in Enfield, North London (a great location only 30 minutes from Kings Cross or Moorgate while also being close to the Hertfordshire countryside).
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- engaging with stakeholders across the business to understand their virtualisation requirements
- evolving our virtualisation infrastructure, which is based on the vSphere stack, through architecture, design, implementation and documentation of solutions to meet those business requirements
- monitoring and managing our virtualisation infrastructure to maintain a quality service
- acting as technical support lead for virtualisation escalations from our Helpdesk
- working alongside other members of the team to help maintain our extensive IT infrastructure.
For this position, we need someone who has:
- extensive IT experience
- experience designing, implementing and supporting vSphere solutions
- experience with Cisco data centre networking
- excellent time and project management skills
- the ability to take on ownership of a project and work well on their own initiative
- strong communication skills.
Successful candidates would also, ideally, have technical experience with some or all of the following areas.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 / 2016 Active Directory and server infrastructure
- Linux systems, in particular Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Dell servers and storage
- Nimble iSCSI SAN
- Automated provisioning and orchestration systems
- Containerisation solutions, particularly Kubernetes
- Monitoring software and systems
- Backup, DR and HA solutions.
A VMware VCP6-DCV or similar industry qualification would also be highly advantageous.
We will offer a competitive market salary and, once you have joined us, your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a comprehensive package of benefits including a bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly.
The first stage will involve a telephone interview with the hiring manager to assess your suitability to the role. The next stage will be an interview at our North London office, where you will be asked to complete some short exercises and have interviews with senior members of the team.
To apply for this position, please send a
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 020 8366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.