Who are Metaswitch?
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. We develop commercial and open-source software solutions that are constructively disrupting the way that service providers build, scale, innovate and account for communication services. The company was established over 35 years ago and we now have over 800 employees across the world, including the UK and US.
We are recruiting a talented and motivated individual to join us as a Degree Apprentice in our IT Services team, initially working on our internal Helpdesk. You do not need any prior work experience in IT – just an interest in technology, a passion for solving complex problems and willingness to take on big challenges.
This Apprenticeship will be based out of our North London (Enfield) office and will start in September 2020.
The IT Degree Apprentice
This Degree Apprenticeship is for a Level 4 BSc (Hons) in Digital and Technology Solutions, studying at the University of Hertfordshire. The course runs part-time over five years, typically with one day per week of formal lectures and the remaining four days per week working on our IT Helpdesk, picking up real-world experience to add to your degree portfolio.
At the end of this time, you will have an internationally recognised qualification along with the skills and experience you’ve built up over your time at one of the industry’s top software companies. And you won’t have any student debt!
Where will you fit into Metaswitch?
We have a highly expert IT Services team based in both the UK and US, who are responsible for designing, building and maintaining the company’s IT infrastructure as part of the wider Information Systems team, which provides tools and infrastructure to support the company.
After an initial training period, your duties will include
- handling on-boarding processes, including provisioning accounts and installing PCs for new starters
- promptly implementing change requests and troubleshooting problems for users at all levels of the company
- identifying more complex problems and escalating them to the appropriate subject matter expert on the wider Information Systems team
- working on our email and telephone Helpdesk during business hours.
As your experience and capabilities grow, we’ll expect you to take on more complex change requests and work through deeper or more involved problems from start to finish, with support from the rest of the team. You’ll have a training program mixing your study at The University of Hertfordshire with training from an expert mentor at Metaswitch that’s tailored to your specific needs and objectives.
What do you need?
For this position, we are looking for an enthusiastic self-starter who
- has 72+ UCAS points from at least two A2 Level (Level 3) subjects, plus GCSE Grade 4 or above in English and Maths
- g. Double Award in Chemistry = two A levels
- BTEC double award (which is marked as DD, MM or PP) = considered as two Level 3 subjects
- Level 3 subjects are permissible.
- is a good communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- has a genuine passion for IT and technology
- takes ownership of a problem and works independently to resolve it, using their own initiative along with the documentation and expertise available to them
- is highly organised and possesses good time management skills.
What’s in it for you?
- £20,000 starting salary
- Hands-on training within a world class IT organisation
- A degree qualification at the end of the apprenticeship
- 20 days of holiday in your first year (increasing to 25 days later)
- Eligibility for some great perks, including our bonus plan, an excellent non-contributory pension, life assurance and private health insurance.
In addition to all of this, we have team and office morale events with a very generous budget. Activities can vary from dinner/drinks, bowling or go-karting with your team mates, to a day or weekend away with a larger group (where Centre Parcs, Paris and Budapest have been some recent destinations).
You’ll also have the opportunity to take part in a wide variety of other sports and activities – including football, badminton, bridge, board games and tag rugby, to name but a few.
To apply, please upload your CV, or send a copy along with a covering letter outlining why you are interested in joining our Apprenticeship programme, to email@example.com.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.