The Senior Software Engineer role
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. Our award-winning solutions help power more than 1,000 service providers and mobile operators, providing highly scalable and fault tolerant systems that run right in the core of their networks. We are internationally renowned for our exceptional technology, cutting-edge innovation and first-rate support – qualities we maintain by only recruiting, and retaining, the very best people.
We are looking to recruit a senior software engineer into the engineering team responsible for Service Assurance Server (SAS), our high-performance cross-product diagnostics engine, based in our Edinburgh office.
The Engineering team is the heart of Metaswitch – we are first and foremost and engineering company built on a community of driven, smart people who want to make a real difference to our industry.
As a member of the SAS Engineering team you will work alongside seasoned veterans and new graduate engineers, developing new features and product enhancements on our industry renowned diagnostics tools – dealing with complex systems, large codebases, and high scale.
After an initial training and ramp-up period, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following.
- Full lifecycle of software development: specification, high and low-level design work, coding, regression testing, problem investigation, debugging and fixing
- Own and deliver single-person projects adhering to established processes to ensure quality
- Work within a team to deliver multi-person projects
- Over time, provide technical guidance to less experienced developers
- Task estimation and progress tracking
For this position, we need someone who has the following skills/attributes.
- A graduate degree
- Extensive relevant experience
- Significant familiarity with Linux and Linux-based systems, ideally including deploying software using containers
- Knowledge of a variety of development tools and applications, including Subversion and Git code-management systems
- Experience working with very large codebases (multiple millions of lines of code) and complex systems
- The ability to work effectively in a team
- Experience of all parts of the development process, including large-scale design work
- Excellent communications skills, a versatile and creative mind with good problem-solving abilities, self-motivation, energy and discipline.
Successful candidates would also desirably have familiarity with some or all of the following areas of expertise.
- Voice-over-IP protocols, especially SIP
- SQL databases, ideally Postgresql
- Analytics engines, especially Splunk and OLK
- A range of programming languages, especially Python and shell script
We will offer a competitive market salary and, once you have joined us, your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a competitive package of benefits including a bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly. Firstly, you will have a telephone interview with one of the Engineering Managers. This will give you an opportunity to find out more about the role and find out whether you are suited to Metaswitch. If successful, you will then normally be asked to come in to one of our offices for a series of interviews.
To apply for this position, please send a
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 020 8366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.