The Senior Software Engineer role
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. Our award-winning solutions help power more than 1,000 service providers and mobile operators, providing highly scalable and fault tolerant systems that run right in the core of their networks. We are internationally renowned for our exceptional technology, cutting-edge innovation and first-rate support – qualities we maintain by only recruiting, and retaining, the very best people.
We are looking to recruit a senior software engineer into the engineering team responsible for automation enablement and lifecycle management of our carrier systems, based in our Enfield office.
The Engineering team is the heart of Metaswitch – we are first and foremost an engineering company built on a community of driven, smart people who want to make a real difference to our industry.
As a member of the Automation Enablement Engineering team you will work alongside seasoned veterans and new graduate engineers, developing new features and product enhancements on our industry leading technology for automating deployment and management of carrier grade communications technology – dealing with complex systems, large codebases, and high scale.
After an initial training and ramp-up period, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following.
- Full lifecycle of software development: specification, high and low-level design work, coding, regression testing, problem investigation, debugging and fixing
- Own and deliver single-person projects adhering to established processes to ensure quality
- Work within a team to deliver multi-person projects
- Over time, provide technical leadership to less experienced developers
- Task estimation and progress tracking
There may also an opportunity to become part of our L3 customer support team, working alongside the core engineering team, indirectly supporting our carrier customers with troubleshooting and issue resolution.
For this position, we need someone who has the following skills/attributes.
- A graduate degree
- Extensive relevant experience
- Programming expertise in Rust (or proven track record of quickly becoming proficient in a new language) and Python
- Significant familiarity with Linux-based systems
- Knowledge of a variety of development tools and applications, including Subversion, Git code management, and CI/CD pipelines
- Experience working with very large complex systems
- Self-sufficient, but able to work effectively in a team
- Experience of all parts of the development process, including large-scale design work
- Excellent communications skills, a versatile and creative mind with good problem-solving abilities, self-motivation, energy and discipline.
Successful candidates would also desirably have familiarity with some or all of the following areas of expertise.
- OpenStack and VMware
- Developing and deploying software using containers, including using docker and Kubernetes
- Leveraging open source software where appropriate
- DevOps practices and using GitOps to manage infrastructure provisioning and software deployment
- Working in a Scrum team with agile principles
- A range of other programming languages, and shell scripting
- Configuration models, paradigms and languages including JSON, YAML, OpenAPI, YANG, NETCONF
- ETSI Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) architectures, orchestration, and CSAR packaging
- Voice-over-IP protocols, especially SIP
We will offer a competitive market salary and, once you have joined us, your salary will be reviewed regularly based on your performance and contribution.
We also offer a comprehensive package of benefits including a bonus plan, company share plan, a non-contributory pension, life insurance and private medical insurance plans, plus a flexible holiday policy.
Metaswitch is proud of our focus on and commitment to our employees, and that our staff retention is exceptionally high. We’re a company that appreciates and looks after our people.
Application and Selection
Our recruitment process is designed to be thorough and tough, yet informative and friendly.
The first stage will involve a telephone interview with the hiring manager to assess your suitability to the role. The next stage will be an interview at one of our Metaswitch offices where you will be asked to complete some short exercises and have interviews with senior members of the team.
To apply for this position, please send a
- covering email telling us about yourself and why you are interested in, and suited to, the role
to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any further questions, please contact our Recruitment team at the same address or on 020 8366 1177.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.