The Software Development Manager Role
The continuing success of our telecoms and networking products means that Metaswitch Networks are recruiting highly talented software managers for our expanding Midlands office to manage established and newly formed Agile teams working in a number of different product areas.
Metaswitch uses cutting edge development and testing approaches to deliver mission critical telecoms infrastructure to the world’s largest network operators. Agile software development practices and cloud native architecture principles are in our DNA. Our recent acquisition by Microsoft adds even more excitement to our future.
You must be a hands-on development manager that can get to grips with the complex, scalable and reliable real-time software products we are renowned for in addition to developing your people. You will get involved with architecture, high and low level design and often application programming in C/C++, Java, Rust and Python to build truly cloud native products, with the opportunity to take ownership of larger projects and take a lead role within the wider development team. You will work with a wide range of the latest technologies including virtualisation, containers and cloud deployment.
You will be responsible for
- Developing your people to create and maintain a highly productive Agile team
- Ensuring the team delivers tested quality multi-person projects on time and budget
- Helping the team to deliver specifications, high and low-level designs, code, regression tests. You’ll also help them with the hardest bugs.
- Helping your team and the wider organisation get better at everything
Metaswitch is the world’s leading cloud native communications software company. Our award-winning solutions help power more than 1,000 service providers and mobile operators, providing highly scalable and fault tolerant systems that run right in the core of their networks. We are internationally renowned for our exceptional technology, cutting-edge innovation and first-rate support – qualities we maintain by only recruiting, and retaining, the very best people.
Our industry-leading session border controller product, Perimeta, is a cloud native, carrier class, solution that protects VoIP networks from attack whilst maintaining performance even under heavy load and is architected to handle distributed signalling and media.
The transition to 5G is the biggest, most disruptive change in telecoms right now and as Metaswitch’s mobile operator base continues to grow worldwide our Mobile Packet Core team is helping power that transition with high performance, resilient, cloud-native networking software.
Our revolutionary mobile native unified communications solution, MaX UC is an in-network, mobile-native Unified Communication and Collaboration solution designed from the ground up to deliver an awesome user experience. Globally, 25 million business users use MaX UC to collaborate with their colleagues, customers and suppliers through voice, messaging, video conferencing, offline collaboration and more, all seamlessly integrated within a simple, natural user interface.
Who are Metaswitch?
We’re incredibly proud of our company culture. We have a collaborative working environment where free and open dialog is welcomed, we avoid internal politics at all costs. Our aim is to seek out the better, faster and simpler solution, while supporting, challenging and developing each other.
Engineering is the beating heart of Metaswitch and forms over half of our 900 employees, mainly based at locations across the UK.
Our UK headquarters are in Enfield, North London, where over 200 R&D engineers reside.
The Midlands office is located on the outskirts of Coventry, towards Rugby, close to a full range of amenities and with easy access to beautiful countryside, such as the Cotswolds, and transport links to the rest of the country and beyond. The office is a pure R&D office and is growing rapidly with a current headcount of 27 engineers.
We also have R&D offices in Cambridge and Edinburgh.
For this position, we need you to have the following skills/attributes.
- A versatile and creative mind with excellent problem-solving ability
- Self-motivation, inventiveness, energy and self-discipline
- Ability to organise and motivate an Agile team to deliver on their promises
- Ability to continuously develop your people
- Ability to design and write secure, stable, testable, and maintainable code with minimal defects
- Significant familiarity with Linux and Linux-based systems, ideally including deploying software using containers
- Experience working with very large codebases and complex systems
- Have the ability to work autonomously, but also be a team player, happy to ‘roll up your sleeves’ to help and support others to deliver team and organisation goals
- Excellent communications skills
Metaswitch is an equal opportunities employer.